Monday, February 8, 2010

Bloated Media

Does anyone really understand that having this massive of a entertainment mass communications is just bogging it down? It hurts itself by being so big. You have to shift through so much shit to find anything worth its salt. There was a time when there was a few bands, a few writers and a few film makers that were any good. Now there's so much of it that its hard to see whats good and what the industry just shoves down your throat and presents it as marketable.

I avoided the Super Bowl just because I hate the commercials now.

It makes me think about why I want to do all the things I want to do. I want to play music I love to show my appreciation for it. Music has always been a big part of my life, even when I was young and didn't know what exactly I was listening to or what it meant. Now I think about the day when I will play this all and saying to myself, "When the music doesn't matter anymore, do I even want to play it?"

It's hard to find people who care as much as you. Yeah, you'll find fans who agree with you on certain things (Led Zeppelin being 'kinda' like that, but lack the full MPFH of saying "They literally are the best ever, really"); but you'll really be hard-pressed to find that person who say's, "Yes, I completely understand. [Insert song title here] really moves me and makes me want to start a band just so I can cover it."

To list the bands whom influence me would be arduous to complete. Bands like Metallica, Tool and Nine Inch Nails only begin the diversity of it, but also Rush, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd show how far back I could reach. I want to play something that moves me and others but still honors these great bands. (I also hate it when people hate on older bands just for that reason alone, 'Cause they're old.' FUCK THAT, they lose little meaning with age. What I hate is people professing their undying love for shit that has NO MEANING what-so-ever. Whatever happened to good music?)

Even with movies, I have influences that make me want to be a director. A huge one being Kevin Smith. I know that's kinda masturbatory and trite, but it's still true none the less. I am big on dialog, just read my stories. Plus my 'sense of humor' tends to be dark in nature, so it fits. I'm not yet versed enough behind the camera to direct epics akin to movies I love like Apocalypse Now and Batman, but I'm guessing that comes with experience, so I shouldn't be worried about those things yet.

But when it comes to literature, I lack any real inspiration from any tangible source. The only literary works I remember reading as a kid was Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain series. I draw more influence from movies and anime/manga when I write. I visualize and write, to semi-quote an inauspicious movie. I am a writer of dialog through and through. What comes after the dialog is my attempt at being an autor on paper. I've had some decent stints with action scenes, but I think I'm best suited at scripting screenplays-turned-novels.

I guess what I wanted to say here was I don't want to become empty as an artist, going from project to project for a paycheck. Don't let me become that which has no life. Abort me if my time comes.

2 comments:

AniMerrill said...

Ha~ I actually get this quite a bit. I just was thinking (I think maybe it was on my blog) that I honestly don't even watch TV anymore. That, of course, IS A LIE... but I definitely don't watch it much. Or if I do, its usually "Comcast OnDemand" so I can see something without all the fucking commercials or at least minimally.

Truly and honestly, I think that the entertainment industry is starting to die and then rise again, much like a Phoenix, on the internet. I know its common for people of mine and younger generations to say stuff like this, but I honestly believe it. From TGWTG, AGVN, The Escapist Magazine, and COUNTLESS others, you can go on the internet and find MUCH more wholesome entertainment, with minimal non-intrusive advertising, oozing out of the world wide web than you could ever find on TV or in a book store or on the radio anymore.

Although I don't feel you much on the music (I'm a techno guy, really, I'm like another music species) or movies (meh) I do understand what you mean by them as I see the things I love saturated and dumbed down, while the classics are scoffed at because they're "old" even though that was the only time in the industry the people making it gave a shit.

~hopes he can give something back to the industry some day~

Unknown said...

The music thing should touch you even more, seeing as how all techno is now a days is a simple bass beat with garbled spoken language and a drum kit added over it. Electro is where it's at, man.

And movies, I've kinda regained my hope for movies; just days after I posted this too, by the way.

But as to adding to the mix ourselves, we will. It might take (a lot) of time, but we will. Don't rush yourself, it'll just be a quick road to death. The painful way.